Chiropractic and Headaches
Yes, Chiropractic can help with Headaches!
There are many different types of headaches: ones that feel like you’re head is in a vice, ones that throb or pound and ones that start from the Neck and refer to the head. Headaches can affect your concentration, your productivity, your moods and emotions. They can be debilitating and affect your daily activities and your overall quality of life. A lot of these headaches may be helped by Chiropractic.
Painkillers, like Panadol and Nurofen, may take some of the edge away and temporarily provide some relief but the reality is that they’re only masking the Symptoms. What’s worse is that painkillers can affect your digestion and harm your liver. Headaches can continue once the effect of painkillers have worn out and these headaches can worsen due to neglect.
A 2011 study published in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics suggest that chiropractic care can help with Cervicogenic Headaches and Migraines.2
Since 2008, we’ve been helping the Western suburb communities with addressing the cause of headaches through chiropractic care. With the right approach, you can get relief from your headaches and get rid of them for good!
There are more than 150 types of headaches and finding out the cause is important. Below are some of the common ones that chiropractic may be able to help.
Types of Headaches
Tension-type headache is one of the most common type of headaches, affecting 1 in 20 people daily. A tension headache is a mild to moderate pain that is felt on both sides of the head in a band-like distribution and gives the sensation of pressing or tightening. These tension headaches stem from many different factors such as tight muscles, restricted joints and stress.
Cervicogenic headaches are perceived in the head but the cause or origin is from the Neck and the joints within it. Common factors include: a family history of headaches, Neck stiffness and Stress.
Headaches that start after a traumatic event, like a fall or motor vehicle accident. These headaches can start immediately or may be delayed for days, weeks or months.
Migraines are typically described as one-sided, throbbing headaches that are moderate to severe in intensity, and can be made worse by movement. Migraines are often associated with nausea, vomiting, and increased sensitivity to light, sound and even smell. Approximately 20% of people experience migraines at some point in their lives. Migraines affect both children and adults.
Migraines are known to be triggered by a number of factors, such as:
- Muscle tension around the Neck,
- Tension in the joints of the neck,
- Increased or sustained levels of Stress,
- Certain foods and drinks,
- Hormonal changes and more.
Sinus headaches happen when the sinus passages behind the eyes, nose, cheeks and forehead are congested. A sinus headache can be felt as an uncomfortable pressure behind the forehead, but can also be felt anywhere in the sinus area. Pain can worsen when bending forward or lying down – a symptom that is shared with migraines. Because of this shared symptom, people often assume they are experiencing a sinus headache, when they in fact have a migraine.
Cluster headaches are a more rare type of headache, affecting 1 in 1000 people. Men are three times more likely to be affected than women. A cluster headache builds up quickly once it starts and is usually experienced as a deep, intense pain around/behind the eye or in the temple. This type of headache can last from 15 minutes to 3 hours, repeating up to eight times a day. This type of headache is one of the worst due to its intense pain.
How Can Chiropractic Help with Headaches?
The Chiropractors at Meadows Life Chiropractic Health & Wellness Centre can help assess, diagnose and manage your headaches.
- Getting a history of your headache experience, i.e. Frequency, severity, duration and character.
- Physical examination: Range and quality of motion in your Neck,
- Neurological assessment: Checking balance, eye movement, sensation,
- Diagnostic imaging: x-rays/radiographic imaging of the Neck and the whole spine to determine the shape of the spine and health of the spinal bones and joints.
- Chiropractic care,
- Lifestyle modifications and education,
- Workstation and ergonomic setup
- Referral and co-management.
If you suffer from headaches and would like to know if chiropractic can help, call our office on 9315 8888. We’re here to help.
Are you ready to make an appointment?
Our aim is to help you get the care you need. With a thorough examination on the first visit, we can find out if we can help you with chiropractic.
We will help you understand your condition and create a customised plan of care for you. Then once you’ve achieved the necessary improvements, we will advise on how to maintain these changes.
Call us today on 9315 8888 or click here to book online! We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
- Bryans R, Descarreaux M, Duranleau M, Marcoux H, Potter B, Ruegg R, Shaw L, Watkin R, White E. Evidence-based guidelines for the chiropractic treatment of adults with headache. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2011;34(5):274-89.
- Bronfort, G., Haas, M., Evans, R. et al. “Effectiveness of manual therapies: the UK evidence report.” Chiropr Man Therap 18, 3 (2010)
- Wei DY, Yuan Ong JJ, Goadsby PJ. Cluster Headache: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, Clinical Features, and Diagnosis. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2018;21(Suppl 1):S3-S8.
Addressing The Cause
Our intention at Meadows Life Chiropractic Health & Wellness Centre is to help you address the Cause of the Symptoms that you may present with. We look for and correct the underlying shifts in the spine that is responsible for these symptoms through chiropractic adjustments and providing appropriate advice on exercises and lifestyle changes.
Click on the conditions below to learn more.